Saturday, September 5, 2015

Trying To Keep The Focus

The responses continue to flood in regarding the Denny Theesfield photos and my "Portrait of a Veteran" Photo Project. Thanks for all the suggestions of veterans for me to photograph. There are a lot of amazing people around the area, and our great country for that matter. I wish I had the funding, gas money, and time to travel all around Minnesota and Iowa photographing these proud Heroes.

But, this project is just getting off the ground and it went soaring beyond my wildest expectations almost from the git-go! Wow! 

The original "focus" of the "Portrait of a Veteran Photo Project was to honor the local veterans of Martin County here where I live in the Fairmont, Minnesota area. It didn't take long until I expanded the reach of the project to include north-central Iowa as well. As much as I would love to pack up my photo gear and hit the road to Nebraska parts of central Iowa, even California as suggested by many of the wonderful people responding to my posts, I have to draw-in the scope, back to the immediate areas of south-central Minnesota and north-central Iowa. 

Don't Stop Providing Veteran's Names

When you suggest a veteran, please provide their name and phone number or email address so I can get in touch with them easily. I don't have phone directories to places outside of my local phone book coverage area. And with the vast number of names received so far, it will save me much time and research if you can include the basic contact information. Also, it's much better if you can approach the veteran first about the idea, to “break the ice,” so to speak. That way they don't receive a phone call for some stranger (me) asking to come to their homes to take their photos! Lol

Plus, this bears repeating – There is absolutely NO COST OR OBLIGATION to the veteran or his family to have me come to make a portrait of them. Right now, I'm doing this all on my free time and any expenses I have, like for gasoline, or wear-and-tear on my photo equipment, are out of my pocket. I want to establish a large collection of veteran's images and share their stories with the community.

The list of submitted names of veterans grows daily...and if I had the means, I'd devote all my time to this project. Many of the older vets from WWII and Korea are passing on. Time is of the essence to document these individuals before it's too late. Many of the younger veterans wounded or suffering from the ill effects of war are also passing away much too soon, as well.

Anyway, I continue to welcome all your suggestions of veterans for the photo project. It's so cool to see the love and respect you have for the veterans in your lives. And I will try and respond to your notes and messages as soon as possible. But, at this time, I am pulling in the reigns and will only be able to contact and photograph the local area veterans within about a 30-mile radius or so.

This is going to be a long-term project, at least a year...maybe more. We'll have to see and play it by ear. I certainly don't want to leave any veteran out. I want to include as many vets as possible and as my time allows. As I stated before, my dream is to have the project underwritten so that I can spend more time making and compiling these photos. 

Free Photo Book

The end goal is to have a traveling gallery show of the portraits. I want to be able to displaying the collection enlargements at area schools, banks, VFW posts, National Guard Armory, etc. I also want to get a beautiful coffee-table-style book published of all the stories and photos of these veterans. I want a book to go to each pictured veteran's family free of cost as a keepsake to remember and honor their special veteran – Their Dad or Mom, their husband or wife, their uncle, cousin, brother....

I'm working on lining up new portrait session appointments from the list of names I've gotten so far from my Facebook 'Joseph Kreiss Photography' page. So, if I don't get back to you right away, I will. I set aside a couple mornings a week for my photography work, plus I have other clients and publications to take care of, as well as my "Day Job," too.

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart for all your love for the veterans and support for this special photography project.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment